Dr Mark Dagleish
Moredun Research Institute
Pentlands Science Park
Midlothian EH26 0PZ
Mark Dagleish graduated from the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies in Edinburgh in 1990 and spent over 4 years in practice before returning to the ‘Dick’ to undertake a PhD on the characterisation of aspects of the proteinase: antiproteinase balance in the horse with reference to lung disease. In 1998 he was awarded a lectureship in animal science at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth. In 2002 he returned to Scotland to take up the position of veterinary pathologist at Moredun, in 2010 became a Special Lecturer in Veterinary Pathology at the School of Veterinary Medicine and Science University of Nottingham.
Mark is a member of the neuro- and foetopathology surveillance team based at Moredun which is responsible for examining tissues from fallen livestock in Scotland. He is solely responsible for the histological examination of tissues of sea mammals stranded in Scottish coastal waters. He is also a member of the Educational Committee of the British Society of Veterinary Pathologist (BSVP).
- Pathology of lung disease in ruminants, especially bovine pneumonic pasteurellosis due to Pasteurella multocida A:3 and ovine pulmonary adenocarcinoma (OPA)
- Pathology ofhaemorrhagic septicaemiain cattle and buffalo due to P. multocida B:2
- Pathology of abortions in sheep caused byClamydophilaabortus
- All aspects of the pathology of wildlife, especially sea mammals and with special reference to neuro- and pulmonary pathology
- Animal models of human G-I infection with Campylobacter spp.
- Pathogenesis of scrapie and BSE
Selected Key Publications
- Dagleish, M. P., Finlayson J., Bayne C., MacDonald S., Sales J., & Hodgson J. C. 2010. Characterization and time course of pulmonary lesions in calves after intratracheal infection with Pasteurella multocida A:3. Journal of Comparative Pathology. 142(2-3):157 - 169.
- Dagleish, M. P., Foster G., Howie F. E., Reid R. J., & Barley J. 2008. Fatal mycotic encephalitis caused by Aspergillus fumigatus in a northern bottlenose whale (Hyperoodon ampullatus). The Veterinary Record. 163():602-604.
- Dagleish, M., Barley J., Finlayson J., Reid R., & Foster G. 2008. Brucella ceti associated pathology in the testicle of a harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena). Journal of Comparative Pathology. 139(1):54 - 59.
- Dagleish, M. P., Martin S., Steele P., Finlayson J., Sisó S., Hamilton S., et al. 2008. Experimental transmission of bovine spongiform encephalopathy to European red deer (Cervus elaphus elaphus). BMC Veterinary Research. 4(1):17.
- Dagleish, M. P., Hodgson J. C., Ataei S., Finucane A., Finlayson J., Sales J., et al. 2007. Safety and protective efficacy of intramuscular vaccination with a live aroA derivative of Pasteurella multocida B:2 against experimental hemorrhagic septicemia in calves. Infection and Immunity. 75(12):5837 - 5844.
- Cousens, C., Maeda N., Murgia C., Dagleish M. P., Palmarini M., & Fan H. 2007. In vivo tumorigenesis by Jaagsiekte sheep retrovirus (JSRV) requires Y590 in Env TM, but not full-length orfX open reading frame. Virology. 367(2):413 - 421.
Not a Member?
Moredun membership allows you to keep up to date with the latest advances in livestock health. You can join or renew your Moredun membership online.