Salary: £31,350 - £34,500 per annum, depending on experience
Closing date: 28/02/2024
About the role
The Moredun Group seeks a full-time postdoctoral research scientist to join the Vaccines and Diagnostics Department at its Moredun Research Institute. The successful candidate will be involved in an exciting interdisciplinary collaboration funded by BBSRC to develop an innovative, eco-friendly vaccine to combat salmon lice infestations in Atlantic salmon. This project, a partnership between Moredun Research Institute and the University of Stirling’s Institute of Aquaculture, Bimeda Animal Health, and Vertebrate Antibodies Ltd, seeks to address one of the most significant challenges facing the aquaculture industry. The focus is creating an orally administered vaccine that enhances systemic and mucosal immune responses in salmon, leveraging cutting-edge approaches like reverse vaccinology and AI-assisted antigen prediction.
You will be a highly motivated individual with appropriate laboratory experience, the ability to work independently and excellent communication skills. This position offers excellent opportunities for career development, skills training, and collaborative opportunities with project partners. The person in this position will be expected to play a role in supporting Institute infrastructure initiatives.
Interviews are planned for March 2024.
For any informal enquiries about this post, please contact our HR department on [email protected]
The successful applicant will have:
- A PhD in an area relevant to this role, preferably with post-doctoral experience
- A background in molecular biology, immunology, and bioinformatics.
- Experience in handling and analysing large genomic/transcriptomic datasets.
- A proven ability to analyse and interpret results.
- A good record of publications and presentations at conferences
- The ability to show initiative and keep up with new developments/techniques relevant to the work.
- Willingness to travel to visit collaborator’s laboratories and collect samples from vaccination trials.
Experience in one or more of the following will be an advantage.
- Fish immunology
- Cell culture
- Reverse vaccinology
How to apply
To apply, please complete the application form and email the completed form to [email protected].
In addition to access to training and development opportunities, you will access to:
- Competitive pension scheme – Moredun contributing up to a maximum of 15%.
- Group Life Assurance Scheme and an Income Protection Scheme
- Flexi-time system
- 6 weeks annual leave plus 7 days public holidays and a privilege day
- Free access to an Employee Assistance Programme
- Benefits platform offering discounts at various retailers
- On site café
The Moredun Group operates a number of policies including access to a family healthcare scheme and flexible working arrangements.
We are committed to creating a positive and inclusive environment, respecting equality and diversity and encouraging good relations. We welcome applications from people irrespective of their age, sex, religion or belief, race, disability or sexual orientation.